Step foot on an active volcano with this exhilarating walking tour of Mount Etna.
Mount Etna is one of Italy’s active volcanoes and stands guard over the city of Catania on the east of Sicily. The lava tends to flow down one side of the volcano, which means that tourists eager to take in breath-taking views of Sicily and the glistening sea can enjoy a walking tour of Mount Etna.
Our 8 hour tour to Mount Etna, which can be be added to any of our Catania cruise packages, starts from the Rifugio Sapienza, which forms the southern access point to the volcano and, from here, you can rent any walking equipment that you may require (e.g. walking boots). You will then ride on a cable car to 2900 metres above sea level to Torre Del Filosofo, where you will then jump aboard a Jeep before embarking on the climb up to 3350 metres, where you will be rewarded with stunning views of Sicily. At this position on the volcano you’ll be surrounded by eruptive fractures and active vents and you will also be able to feel the heat of the warm lava beneath your feet, making this one of the most exhilarating tours of Mount Etna!
On the descent, you will see some of the large volcanic craters, such as Cisternazza, that decorate Mount Etna and also the Valle del Bove, which is the valley in which the lava from Mount Etna usually flows.
If you have booked a Sicily cruise with us that includes Catania and would like to find out more about our Catania tour options, please contact a member of our friendly team on (UK customers) 01223 637331 or (US customers) 347-594-5500. Alternatively, if you’re still browsing for the perfect Sicily cruise package, why not take a look at our luxury cruises of Italy’s islands: click here to browse our most popular Italy island-hopping cruise packages.
Please note that the following are optional extras that you can arrange during the tour:
- Rental equipment (available from the Rifugio Sapienza, where the tour starts)
- One way ticket cable car and Jeep ride (35 EUR), which is payable at the site
- Please take into account the high mountain conditions (strong winds, cold temperatures and snow even in summer).
- If you suffer from asthma, blood pressure problems, heart ailments and other respiratory problems, this tour is not the one for you but we would be happy to recommend a more suitable sightseeing tour for you.
- The walking trail difficulty rating is “medium”.
- The route may be modified in bad weather conditions or if there is a risk of volcanic eruption.
- We recommend you wear layered clothing, walking shoes/boots and a wind-proof jacket (walking equipment can be rented at an additional cost if necessary).
- Please do not forget to bring a packed lunch as meals and drinks are not included in this tour.
This tour is priced from £85 / $108 per person. If you would like to find out more about this Mount Etna walking tour, please contact a member of our friendly team on (UK) 01223 637331 or (US) 347-594-5500. Alternatively, please click here to send an online enquiry and we will get back to you right away – typically within 24 hours.